One of the functions of this blog is to write reviews of Restaurants, eateries and Bars in Manchester. I have already written some reviews on my sister blog EarlyRetirementRocks.com
However, when I moved that blog to self hosting I lost some of my older posts – very frustrating!
My aim is to use a consistent method and approach to all my reviews. I have a set of values I like to assess against. Here I explain what they are and why:
- Name of Restaurant/Bar – this is self explanatory
- Reason for Visit – was it a girlie lunch, a meal with my husband, a celebration or sometimes it can be from a competition prize win. When I visit a venue is part of a prize win, it is not a condition of the prize that I write a review, the venues do not know that I will write a review. This is one reason why I use a consistent approach to reviews so that there should be no bias involved.
- Time of Visit – this is important as venue’s can have different vibes and prices at different times of the day. As I;m more mature i.e. over 50, I mostly visit places in the afternoon or early evening
- First Impressions – This can cover many aspects from decor, vibe, friendliness of staff to other diners
- Time to get served/get attention – this is a very important value for myself and Mr Fitz. When you approach a bar or a host we appreciate that venue can be very busy, however eye contact costs nothing. Great bartenders and Hosts have fabulous people skills and are great at multi tasking, often serving 1 or 2 customers as well as taking an order from another. A glance and an acknowledgement goes a long way. Mr Fitz’s has a 3 minute rule – if he hasn’t been acknowledged in that time – we leave! Can be even shorter if prices are very expensive! This may seem harsh but it must be considered that the cost of drinks, especially in the City Centre are more than the average workers hourly rate. Possibly even more than the hourly rate of the bartender themselves.
- Food – quality, appearance etc.
- Service – Politeness of serving staff, speed of service, other details
- Evaluation – I provide an overall evaluation of the experience and
- Would I Visit Again? – this again is self explanatory. Even if something was not quite right, it does not mean I would not return as long as I could see that something out of the usual had affected this, it was not just a case of general poor service, sloppiness or poor food.
So now that I’ve explained my approach why not look at my review of Abode in Manchester Piccadilly